Cocktails are the essence of fun in a glass. The first sip of a good cocktail takes us on a heady ride, the subtle flavors mingling with the strong ones, transforming an age-old drink into something fresh and new with every gulp. And here’s the good news: once you know the basics, it is easy to make cocktails on your own!
So, if you’ve ever wanted to learn the art of mixing or build your own little bar in your home, here are some tips to get you started in no time.
Golden rules to make the perfect cocktail:
- Try not to make more than 30% of your cocktail ingredients alcohol-based.
- Maintain a balance of tastes in your cocktail.
- Decorate your cocktail.
- Use spirits and mixers in a 1:3 ratio. Strong liquors should be used minimally.
Equipment to know and use:
- Barspoon – Helps you stir well
- Hand juicer – To squeeze the juice out of the berries
- Measure – To measure the ideal amounts of ingredients and alcohol
- Muddler – Can crush the berries or herbs to obtain their strongest flavor
- Shakers – Get one containing a shaking tin and a mixing glass
- Strainers – To strain away small remnant pieces of ingredients and ice
For methods of preparing a cocktail, check out these in detail:
- Stirring – For lightweight drinks with multiple ingredients
- Shaking – Mix thicker ingredients with ice
- Pouring – First alcohol, then ice, and finally soda
- Muddling – Lightly bruising an ingredient to place it at the bottom of the glass for flavor
- Layering – Overlaying one ingredient over another carefully
- Garnishing – Resting small decorative pieces of ingredients on top of the glass
- Flaming – A small part of alcohol is ignited before consumption (not recommended for beginners)
Some glasses to pour your cocktail into:
- Martini glass
- Lowball glass
- Hurricane glass
- Highball glass
- Coupe glass
- Champagne flute
Now that you are prepared with your equipment and methods, it’s finally time to make some delicious cocktails. Beginners can usually begin with the classic cocktails and move on to more complex ones.
Here is a list of famous cocktails you can start mixing immediately:
If you’d like to entertain a large number of guests, it is best to have a professional mixologist to give you a hand with the more elaborate cocktails. Avail service de bar Effervescence for a great cocktail experience.