Penshaw Monument – Monument in England
< Location :
Penshaw Monument, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear, UK.
The Penshaw Monument, officially The Earl of Durham’s Monument, was built in 1844 on Penshaw Hill between the districts of Washington and Houghton-le-Spring, within the City of Sunderland, North East England. It is dedicated to John George Lambton (1792–1840), 1st Earl of Durham and the first Governor of the Province of Canada and affectionately known as Radical Jack.
Photograph by @simoncroberts. Penshaw Monument, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear, UK from the series #MerrieAlbion. Visitors enjoy the view overlooking Herrington Country Park from atop Penshaw Monument. The monument was built in 1844 for the first Earl of Durham, John George Lambton, becoming a National Trust property in 1939. The monument dominates the bucolic landscape, with many sources suggesting it is a half-size replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens. Overlooked by Penshaw Monument is Herrington Country Park, home to one of the former collieries of the Durham Coalfield. When the colliery closed in 1985, soon after Margaret Thatcher’s victory in the miner’s strike, the waste heap was the biggest in North East England. Now a site of industry is transformed to a site of leisure, with walkways, cycle trails, and environmental sculptures. In addition to running a variety of shows, including the North-East Funfair, Herrington Country Park also hosts the annual Miners Memorial Service. Follow @simoncroberts to see more photographs from this series and other works. #simonroberts ##postindustriallandscape #britishlandscape #penshawmonument #landscapestudiesofasmallisland