Lyft Wiki – Transportation Company
Lyft is an on-demand transportation company based in San Francisco, California, USA. It develops, markets, and operates the Lyft transportation mobile app.
Lyft was launched in the summer of 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer as a service of Zimride, a long-distance ridesharing company the two founded in 2007. In May 2013, the company officially changed its name from Zimride to Lyft.
Company Overview :
Headquarters : San Francisco, California, USA
Founded : 2012
Type : Private
Industry :Transportation networking
CEO : Logan Green (Jun 2012–)
Founders : Logan Green, John Zimmer
Subsidiaries : Lyft Bikes, Leo Me, Inc., DataScore Inc., Corral Labs, Inc.
- Riders must download the Lyft mobile app to their iOS or Android-based phone, sign up, enter a valid phone number, and enter a valid form of payment (either a credit card, or link to an Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or PayPal account).
- Passengers can then request a ride from a nearby driver. Once confirmed, the app shows the driver’s name, ratings by past passengers, and photos of the driver and car.
- Drivers and passengers can add personal information to their profiles about their hometown, music preferences, and other details to encourage drivers and passengers to converse during the ride.
- After the ride is over, the rider is given the opportunity to provide a gratuity to the driver, which is also billed to the rider’s payment method.
Mobile App :
- Lyft offers five types of rides within the app :
- < Shared Ride, which is not available in all cities, is the cheapest option and will match passengers with other riders if they are going in the same direction.
- < Lyft is the basic and most popular offering that matches passengers with nearby drivers.
- < Lyft XL matches passengers with a vehicle that can seat at least 6 passengers.
- < Lux matches passengers with a luxury vehicle that seats at least 4 passengers.
- < Lux Black matches passengers with a luxury black exterior vehicle ride that seats at least four passengers.
- < Lux Black XL matches passengers with a black exterior luxury car that seats up to 6. (i.e.: SUVs with highly rated drivers).
- Launched in June 2012, Lyft operates in approximately 300 U.S. cities, including New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and provides over 1 million rides per day.
- Lyft expanded into Canada in December 2017 as a competitor to the already established Uber.